I recently bought myself a heated vest from Aerostich. I chose the BMW-style connector because I had a bunch of Powerlet sockets that I had installed on my previous bike and they seemed to offer better weather protection than the Aerostich Quickconnect plugs. So my project last weekend was to install sockets on the ‘Wing to power the vest as well as my GoPro. I wanted the sockets to be in a location that was very easy to reach, where the plug would not hit my leg and where I would be unlikely to snag the plug or kick it inadvertently when mounting or dismounting the bike.
After removing the center top shelter, there appeared to be enough space in front of the gas tank to install the plugs in the sides of the left top shelter and the right top shelter.
After removing the left front shelter, I was able to verify that the plug would fit.
Determining exactly where to drill the holes was pretty straightforward. Using a square, I lined up the top edge of the square with the front edge of the mounting bracket for the left front shelter.
I used a marker to make a dot 1 7/8″ from the top. I did the same thing with the right front shelter.
I used a center punch to ensure that the drill wouldn’t wander across the paint and leave a scratch.
I used a step bit and drilled a 13/16″ hole.
Now I needed to install connecters that would allow me to disconnect the outlets to allow removal of the left and right front shelters in the future. I had some 2-pin nylon connectors leftover from another project.
And I had previously purchased a crimping tool after becoming utterly frustrated with cheap crimping tools. I got the crimper and the connectors from Vintage Connections. This crimper is AWESOME. Perfect crimps every time. I also bought the assortment of supplemental die-sets so that I could use the tool for nylon-sheathed connectors as well.
I had previously installed a length of corrugated loom to protect the wires for the Clearwater lights as well as the power leads for my Zumo 660 cradle. I cut open the cable ties so that I could add the power leads for the Powerlet sockets.
Once I had the power leads routed back to the battery, I installed spade connectors. This is where the additional die-sets for the crimper come in handy.
I used a terminal block and jumpers to create my own grounding terminal. I used Velcro to attach it the battery. This makes it much more accessible and convenient than mounting it somewhere under the seat.
I gave myself plenty of lead for the right side. Here it is connected prior to remounting the right front shelter. I tested both sockets by plugging in my vest and all was good.